The ASEE LGBTQ Virtual Community of Practice (VCP) was first launched in 2015 under NSF grant EEC-1539140. In early 2018, under new NSF grant EEC-1748499, we recruited new members to help expand our network and extend our impact. We will continue to recruit new members two times per year, in February and August.
Members will work together to take action to promote LGBTQ equality in their departments. This community of practitioners will identify approaches appropriate for their department context, share resources, develop and implement action plans, and identify best practices for transforming the climate in STEM. We accept new members to this community two times per calendar year, in February and August.
- Human Relations Facilitation Training sessions led by expert meta-trainers
- Regular asynchronous communication with VCP members through Yammer Platform
- Periodic 90-minute online meetings, typically twice per semester
- Facilitation or co-facilitation of face-to-face and/or online Safe Zone workshops (optional)
- Light assignments outside of meeting time (e.g., previewing presentation for session, reading, planning an agenda, etc.)
- Online advocacy training
- Develop a better understanding of LGBTQ issues, particularly in the context of STEM
- Increase your awareness of assumptions, biases, and discrimination; learn effective response and inclusion strategies
- Advance your advocacy and support skills to become a stronger LGBTQ ally
- Learn strategies that are effective in reshaping norms and creating LGBTQ-inclusive departments
- Strengthen your group facilitation skills (these skills are transferrable to other aspects of professional activity, including academic teaching, workshops, and group leadership)
For detailed VCP project background information, click here.